Zapiekanka ( Poland)
- 1 loaf bread (long French, cut in half and then cut in half horizontally to yield 4 pieces)
- Optional: thinly sliced ham or lunchmeat of choice
- 2 cups mushrooms (sautéed)
- Optional: raw or cooked vegetables of choice
- Optional: mayonnaise
- 3 cups cheese (grated melting cheese of choice)
- Garnish: ketchup
- Optional: chopped chives
- If the bread is very long, cut it into 3 pieces and halve each horizontally, otherwise, cut it into 2 pieces.
- Layer meat, sautéed mushrooms and cheese on each slice of bread and toast in a hot oven until the bread is crispy and the cheese has melted. Drizzle with ketchup and serve hot.
Note: Although the traditional zapiekanka consists of mushrooms, cheese, and ketchup, newer versions include ham, salami, vegetables, fried onions or chives, spinach instead of mushrooms, and Highlander’s smoked oscypek cheese instead of the melting cheese.
The variations are limitless.