Skip to content
Welsh Rarebit( LONDON)
- 2 large free-range or organic egg yolks
- 150 g crème fraîche
- 1 level teaspoon English mustard powder
- 100 g freshly grated Cheddar cheese
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chilli jam , to taste
- 4 x 2 cm thick slices of good-quality bread , (use sourdough or country style)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat your grill and get it nice and hot. Whisk the egg yolks with the crème fraîche and mustard powder. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Now, I’m rather hoping you’ve had a go at making the chilli-pepper chutney, but if you haven’t then you can cheat by using a good shop-bought version, or simply chop up a little fresh chilli, to your taste.
- Lightly toast your slices of bread on both sides. Smear a good tablespoon of your chutney on to each slice, right to the edge, followed by a quarter of your rarebit mixture. By spreading it right to the edge, the crust won’t burn. Grill until melted and bubbling. Divide on to plates. With a knife, criss-cross the topping and drizzle with Worcestershire sauce.