Vecchio Bridge (İtaly)
Crossing the Arno River, this closed medieval bridge with arches is one of the oldest structures in Florence. The current bridge dates back to 1350 when it was rebuilt after a damaging flood.
Originally, the bridge was used as a fortification and it featured four towers (including the Manelli Tower, which is the last one still standing). Later, around 40 shops were built along the bridge, but due to the pollution and noise they made, shopkeepers were evicted in the 16th century and they were replaced by goldsmiths and silversmiths. There are still shops today, although now it’s mostly jewelers and souvenir stalls.
The Vasari Corridor was added to the bridge in the 16th century by the Medici family and it served as a private connection between the Palazzo Vecchio and the Palazzo Pitti, going through the Uffizi.
The passageway has four big windows in the middle, which supposedly replaced the original ones in 1938 so that Adolf Hitler could enjoy panoramic views of the river.