- 2 pounds beef honeycomb tripe
- Few pinches salt
- 1 pound meaty beef soup bones (or veal)
- 1 tablespoon salt (or more as necessary)
- 4 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 1 celery root (cleaned and chopped, or 3 stalks sliced celery)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 3 cups beef broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- Pepper to taste
- Optional: 2 tablespoons butter (for creamed soup)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (for creamed soup)
- Optional: 1 cup half-and-half (for creamed soup)
- Rinse tripe under cold water. Drain and place on a cutting board. Sprinkle with salt and rub into tripe to clean the crevices. Rinse again to remove salt.
- Place tripe and soup bones with enough water to cover in a large saucepan or stockpot. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt for each cup of water added. Cover. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer partially covered 3 to 5 hours, or until tripe is tender.
- Drain tripe and bones. Pick meat off bones, reserve and discard bones. When tripe is cool enough to handle, cut into very thin strips.
- Place tripe, meat from bones, carrots, celery root, parsley, and broth in a clean pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are tender. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional ginger and mace, marjoram, and pepper to taste. Bring back to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings. Serve hot with rye bread.
Creamed Soup Variation
For a creamed soup, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour to make a roux. Cook and stir until golden. Add 1 cup half-and-half and bring to a simmer. Temper the half-and-half with a few ladles of hot soup. Transfer tempered half-and-half to the soup and whisk until soup has thickened slightly