Rukatunturis highest point is 492 meters. The longest run in the mountain is 1300 meters. In winter Ruka is the place to be for people who love winter sports. In summer time Ruka welcomes people to enjoy the beautiful nature, for example as a base for hiking the Karhunkierros trail or shorter hikes in the Ruka area.
Ruka is part of the Kuusamo municipality, with the centre Kuusamo some 23 km to the south.
Best way to get to Ruka is to fly to Kuusamo and take the Airport bus to Ruka. If you want to come by train from southern Finland, the nearest train stations are in Oulu, Rovaniemi and Kemijärvi (you can bring the car on the train to these destinations); also Kajaani may be an option. From there, take a bus to Kuusamo. Driving from destinations in southern Finland will take around 10 hours.
The new Ruka Pedestrian Village was finished in November 2010. You can now walk to the slopes from the hotels without any crossings. Also Talvijärvi is close to the slopes. Accommodations can be some 5 km away, more suitable for those coming for cross-country skiing or other activities.
The views of Valtavaara are well-known. Also the views from Juhannuskallio and from Konttainen are very nice. You can also enjoy the views from Rukatunturi. In Juhannuskallio there are also caves, the biggest known as Pirunkirkko (“Devil’s church”).
- Fell Konttainen. 407 meters, about half a kilometre from Karhunkierros Trail
- Fell Pyhävaara. 461 meters, you need a special license to get there.
- Fell Rukatunturi. 500 meters, Karhunkierros Trail starts from here.
- Fell Valtavaara. 491 meters, Surmankuru gorge (40 meters) is located here, on the north side.
In winter the ski resort is the main thing to do in Ruka. There is also a large cross-country skiing route network (90 km). In summer the beautiful nature provides a lot to do, e.g. visiting Valtavaara-Pyhävaara Nature Reserve.
- Observe and photograph Aurora borealis during long winter nights.
- Ski pass sales, Rukakyläntie 8, ☎ . The place to buy ski passes for the Ruka slopes. from single run adults 5 euros to 5-7 days adults 149,5 euros.
- Piste Rental Shop (PisteVuokraamo), Rukakylätie 17, ☎ . Children´s equipment, alpine skiing, carving, snowboarding, telemarking, cross country skiing, helmets, goggles etc and Halti outdoor wear.
- VuosselinPortti Rental Shop (VuosselinPortti Vuokraamo), Jussinkuja 5, ☎ . The Rental Shop of Eastern Ruka.
- Ski School Ruka, Rukakyläntie 17, ☎ . 10:00–16:00. Private lessons and lessons for groups. Alpine, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, telemark and adaptive skiing. Private lessons €32–92.
- Karhunkierros, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Summer and autumn. legendary and popular 80 km hiking trail to and through Oulanka National Park. The trail ends at Karhunkierros visitor centre in Hautajärvi or e.g. at Kuntakkivaara (there are also such shorter versions of Karhunkierros, 18–31 km). From Hautajärvi the UKK trail continues 260 km via the Sallatunturi area, Tuntsa Wilderness Area and Tulppio all the way to Urho Kekkonen National Park. Free.
Programme services[add listing]
- Kuusamo Safaris, Kotatie 1, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tailor made activities for families and small groups. For example: snowmobile-, husky-, ice-fishing-, reideer sleigh-, snowshoe trekking and cross-country skiing safaris, canoeing, cycling, white water rafting and rowing trips.
- Rukapalvelu Ltd, Rukakyläntie 13, ☎ . 09:00–17:00 (Sun 10:0–17:00). Tailor made events and adventures. Also weekly programs available.
- Ruka Safaris, Rukarinteentie 1, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00–17:00 (Sat–Sun closed). Tours and other programme; accommodation, including a winter village built of snow.
- Ruka Adventures, Rukanriutta 7, ☎ . 09:00–16:00. All kinds of adventures for groups. For example ice carting, snowmobile safaris, river rafting, quadbike safaris etc.
- Stella Polaris Adventures, Mestantie 1, ☎ . 09:00–21:00. Wilderness safaris with high quality services. Private safari company, DMC.
- Northernlight Safaries, Rukatunturintie 2, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Speed safaris and overnight safaris. You can experience the real winter in the wilderness with professional safari guides.
- Wilderness Wolf Nature Safaris, Rukajärventie 30, ☎ . Husky farm with over 200 sledge dogs. Prices start from €36/2 km/person..
- K-Market Ruka, Rukanriutta 3, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . 8-21. Groceries store in Ruka.
- S-Market Ruka, Rukanriutta 7, 93825 Rukantunturi, ☎ . 8-21, Sat 8-18, Sun 12-18. Another groceries store in Ruka.
- K-Market Rukankylä, Rukankyläntie 8, 93825 Rukantunturi. 10-18. A small groceries store on in the Ruka Pedestrian Village.
- Shopping Center Kumpare (Kauppakeskus Kumpare), Rukakyläntie 8, Rukatunturi, ☎ . 9.30-19. Here you can find the Ruka info, Internet terminals, WLAN, groceries store, Alko (liquor store), souvenir shops, gym, child park etc.
- RukaStore, Rukatunturintie 13, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . 10-19. Here you can find high-quality equipment and clothing for winter sports.
- Riipisen Wild Game and Souvenir Shop, Rukakyläntie 8, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . 10-17. This is the place to buy your wild game souvenirs.
- Restaurant Piste (Ravintola Piste), Rukakyläntie 17, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . 12-22. The center of action in the Ruka Village. Lunch at noon, party at nights. from 5 to 29 euros.
- Restaurant Rukahovi, Rukakyläntie 15, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . Traditional restaurant in the middle of Ruka. Live music and great views.
- Restaurant Kaltiokivi & KarhuBar, Rukakyläntie 15, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . 14-22.30. Relaxing and cosy restaurant in Ruka center. Beautiful fireplace in KarhuBar. 12-33 euros.
- Colorado Mts. Bar & Grill, Rukakyläntie 6, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . 14-22. Live music, delicious food, sports, drinks etc. From the menu you can choose also quite spicy foods. about from 7 to 27 euros.
- Restaurant Peak, Rukakyläntie 11, ☎ . Located right on the top of Ruka Fell. Finnish cuisine and quality wines.
- Alphut Swiss Restaurant, Rukatunturintie 11, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . Alpine food and drinks. At lunch time the soup of the day. Right in the center of Ruka Village.
- Classic Pizza Ruka, Rukatunturintie 11, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . The restaurant offers peaceful dining and good service. There are pizzas, salads, wines and other drinks on the menu.
- Restaurant Vanha Karhu, Rukantunturintie 1, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . 16-22 (mon-thu), 16-23 (fri-sat). Gourmet restaurant in the Village of Ruka. Offers local cuisine.
- Riipinen Wild Game Restaurant, Rukatunturintie 6, 93825, ☎ . (Mon-Fri) 12-21. Restaurant offers specialities like bear, rabbit and of course reindeer. There’s also a separate kids’ menu.
- Restaurant Royal Ruka, Mestantie 1, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . Gourmet restaurant with Lapland’s Dinner and À la Carte list. Laplan’s Dinner 35-39 euros.
- Restaurant Rukatonttu, Hiihtostadioinintie 1, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . Cozy restaurant with views to the lake Talvijärvi.
- Pizzeria Ruka, Kelorinne, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . 11-23. Pizzeria offers speacial pizzas like salmon and reindeer.
- Tellu Night & Ski Pub Karaoke, Rukakyläntie 15, ☎ . Over 2500 songs to choose from! Also DJ and music from 80’s, 90’s, today’s hits and Finnhits.
- Restaurant Zone (Ravintola Zone), Safaritalo, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . 12-04. After safari parties until the morning, karaoke and a big glassed terrace. Lots of different kinds of events. 9-11 euros.
- Cafe Bar Twin Peak, Rukakyläntie 11, 93825 Rukatunturi, ☎ . 12-18 (Tue-Sat). Special coffees, wines, fresh bread and warm meals.
- Rukakeskus Oy (RukaPyhä Ski-Inn), Rukatunturintie 9, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ski-Inn RukaSuites, Rukakyläntie 8, ☎ . Check-in: 18:00, check-out: 15:00. RukaSuites apartments are located in the village of Ruka. They are in walking distance from the slopes. Apartments are made specially for skiers.
- Ski-Inn Aurinkorinne, Hiihtokouluntie 16–18, ☎ . Check-in: 18:00, check-out: 15:00. Apartments are located 400 meters from RukaVillage. The nearest slope Talvijärvi is right next to the apartments. from 65 euros per night in the summer to 620 euros per week in the winter.
- Ski-Inn Hotel RukaVillage, Rukakyläntie 6, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Especially for skiing travellers. Each room has cooking facilities.
- MastonAitio Cabins, Rinnekyläntie 3, ☎ . Cabins are great for active families. Kids ski area and a rope tow lift is located near the cabins. For example winter weeks from 565 euros.
- Chalet Ruka Peak, Juhannuskalliontie 27A, ☎ . Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. A boutique hotel on the top of Ruka Fell. Every room has large windows and the views are beautiful. Some rooms have a private jacuzzi.
- RukaTonttu, Hiihtostadionintie 1, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel is located right next to hiking trails, ski-tracks and slopes. There is direct access to Talvijärvi lake for those who like swimming. Also restaurant, sauna, equipment rental and programme services. Apartments available also in the village and at lake Vuosseli 5 km from the slopes but close to skiing and snowmobiling tracks. From 68 to 150 euros.
- Hotel Royal Ruka, Mestantie 1. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. This is the luxury five star hotel in Ruka area. You can also arrange conferences in the hotel (max. 65 persons). €125–190/night.
- Rukan Salonki, Kemijärventie 235, ☎ . High quality chalets by lake Salonkijärvi, 2 km from Ruka.
- Matkailumaja Heikkala, Talvijärventie 10, ☎ . Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. 14 cottages and 7 rooms next to the lake Talvijärvi. Kids can walk straight to the slopes of Ruka. from 35 euros to 180 euros per night.
- Rukajärven Lomamajat, Rukajärventie 60, ☎ . Different sizes cottages and three villas by the Lake Vuosseljärvi near Ruka. from 95 to 250 euros.
- 1 Ruka Golden Cottage, Pilkkikuja 1–3, ☎ . 250 m² chalet, accommodating up to 10 people. Beautiful views toward Ruka ski slopes. From 400 to 600 euros per night.
- Hotel Rantasipi Rukahovi, Rukakyläntie 15, ☎ . The hotel is located in the middle of Ruka ski resort. Hotel has twin rooms, superior panorama rooms, suites, one room for disabled and apartments for 3–6 persons.