- 5 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces butter (softened)
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 2 cups milk
- Heat oven to 375 F. Lightly coat a 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix cornmeal with salt, butter, eggs, and 1 cup milk until thoroughly mixed, for at least 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 cup milk and mix again for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to prepared pan and bake until golden and crumbs stick to a toothpick.
- Cut into squares, but leave in the pan, and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes, for a total baking time of 50 to 60 minutes. The cornbread should be crusty on all sides.
- Serve warm.
Serbian Cornbread Go-Withs
Since this cornbread is on the dryer side, it’s ideal to accompany hearty Serbian saucy dishes like white bean soup or bean stew but don’t count it out as an accompaniment for sarma. This is one of those times when Miss Manners won’t mind you sopping up the juices on your plate with a piece of bread.