- 2 cups self-raising flour sifted
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml maple syrup *to serve
- 1 cup icing sugar *to serve
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream *to serve
- STEP 1Combine flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- STEP 2Add milk and water and mix with an electric mixer until smooth, scraping sides if necessary.
- STEP 3Add eggs and mix until combined and smooth.
- STEP 4Heat poffertje pan and lightly grease indentations.
- STEP 5Add the mixture until holes are full.
- STEP 6Cook for a few minutes then turn over.
- STEP 7Poffertjes are cooked when they are golden brown and puffy.
- STEP 8Remove from pan and drizzle with maple syrup, icing sugar and ice-cream.
- STEP 9Serve immediately.
If you don’t have a poffertje pan, you could simply just add tablespoons of the mixture into a skillet and carefully turn.