Paški sir (Croatia)
Risotto of Peas, Mint and Paski Sir
~ 175 gr. Of risotto rice
~ 60 gr. Butter
~ 1 medium onion, diced
~ 1 clove of garlic, crushed
~ 1 table spoon of fresh mint, chopped
~ 1 table spoon of parsley
~ 1,5 table spoon mint sauce
~ 200 gr. Peas
~ 750 ml. of chicken/vegetable stock
~ 75 ml. vermouth or white wine
~ 120 gr. grated Paski Sir
1. In the melted butter, add the onions and almost the entire tbsp of mint (leave some for end); saute over low-medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the crushed garlic for the last two minutes.
2. Heat the chicken/vegetable stock in another pan.
3. Add the risotto rice to the onions, stir well for another minute or two.
4. Turn up the heat under risotto pan; add vermout or white wine while continuing stirring.
5. Once the liquid evaporates add from the second pan a ladle of hot stock. Continue like this for about 15 minutes and test the risotto grains to see if it’s cooked.
6. With the last addition of stock, put in the rest of the mint, the parsley, peas, mint sauce, 2/3 of the grated Paski Sir.
7. Season, add the rest of the Paski Sir.