4 cups fresh pig’s blood
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups steel cut oatmeal
2 cups pork fat finely chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- Grease 2 glass loaf pans.
- Stir 1 teaspoon of salt into the pigs blood.
- Bring 2 1/2 cups water to boil- this is where you will cook the oats.
- Stir in oats.
- Simmer oats mixture for 15 minutes.
- Pour blood through a fine sieve to remove any lumps, and let stand in a mixing bowl while you prepare other ingredients.
- Stir in the pork fat, diced onion, pepper, milk, allspice and the rest of the salt.
- Add the cooked oatmeal, and mix until all is combined.
- Divide the mixture between the loaf pans
- Cover pans with aluminum foil and bake sausage for 1 hour until firm.
- Cool before serving.
- To serve a second time, you can slice the sausage and grill on barbecue or in a cast iron pan.