Skip to content
Kohl und Pinkel (BREMEN)
- 1 lb. kale, about 12 oz. cleaned and chopped
- 2 pieces of bacon chopped, or 50 grams of “Bauchspeck” diced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. beef bouillon
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- Various sausages, such as bratwurst, frankfurters or other
- Thick slice of ham (optional)METHOD
- Clean kale, remove the thick middle stem and chop. Blanch for 1 minute in boiling water and drain. You may also use frozen kale (looks like spinach) if you can find it (frozen kale is popular in Germany).
- Brown the bacon in a pan, sauté the onion in it and add the kale. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then add water to cover. Stir in beef boullion. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the mustard and stir. Place the sausages and meat on top of the kale and simmer for another 30 minutes. Pepper to taste, salt only after tasting as the meat is salty.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and potatoes browned in butter and sugar.