Skip to content
- Boiling potatoes — 2 pounds
- Hot beef or chicken broth — 3/4 cup
- Onion, chopped finely — 1
- Oil — 1/3 cup
- Vinegar — 1/4 cup
- Brown or Dijon mustard — 2 tablespoons
- Sugar — 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper — to taste
- Chives or parsley, chopped (optional) — 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Place the potatoes into a large pot and add enough cold water to cover them by an inch or two. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and continue to boil until the potatoes are cooked through and a sharp knife pierces them easily. Drain and set aside to cool.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel them if you like. Then cut the potatoes in half and then cut them into thick slices. Put the potatoes in a large bowl and carefully stir in the hot broth and onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir this vinaigrette into the potatoes, along with the chopped chives or parsley.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve warm, at room temperature or cold. Kartoffelsalat tastes best if you let it rest for an hour or two to meld the flavors.