Skip to content
Erwtensoep ( Holland )
- 3 1⁄2cups dried split green peas or 1 1⁄2 lbs dried split green peas
- 3liters water
- 1lb spareribs
- 1⁄2lb bacon, one thick slice, cubed
- 2leeks, washed and chopped, also use the green part
- 1medium celeriac, diced (celery root or bulb) or 3 cups of chopped celery (but the flavor will be weaker)
- 1smoked dutch sausage or 3 -4 thick frankfurters, left whole or cut up in slices
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2bouillon cube(optional)
- chopped celery leaves
- fresh parsley leaves
- Wash the peas and soak them overnight in the amount of water given. Next day bring them to the boil together with the spareribs and the bacon; simmer on very low heat for approx 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add the leeks and the celeriac; cook for another hour or until the soup becomes thick – with the lid off. Lift out the spareribs, remove the meat from the bones, and return the meat to the pan.
- Add the sausage, let it warm through and season the soup to taste and maybe add bouillion cube(s) , add the chopped celery leaves and parsley just before serving.