Crni rižot (Croatia)
Cuttlefish – 150 g
Rice (arborio) – 200 g
Onion – 1
Tomato concentrate – 2 tablespoons
White wine – 100 ml
Parmesan cheese – 100 g
Sugar – pinch
1. Clean and cut up the cuttlefish.
2. In a heated pan with olive oil fry the diced onions, add a pinch of sugar and then add the cuttlefish to soften. Fry together and then add garlic, salt and tomato concentrate. Mix well.
3. When the cuttlefish has softened add the rice, white wine, salt, and pepper. Cook on a low-med heat and keep stirring, adding water as required as the liquid gets absorbed.
5. Add the cuttlefish ink just before the rice is cooked (as much as you prefer), and olive oil and parsley and cook till thickens and the rice is ready.
6. At the end add a knob of butter, season with salt and pepper and serve with parmesan cheese.