CIORBA RADAUTEANA (Romania)
1 chicken breast
2 chicken thighs
1 celery root
4 garlic cloves
2 egg yolks
230 grams (1 cup) sour cream
Juice from 1 lemon
1 parsley bunch
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a soup pot, add 3 or 4 litres of water and the chicken parts. The water amount depends on your soup pot size. Boil for at least 1 hour, skimming the foam each time it rises to the surface.
- Add the carrots, celery root, parsnip, onion, and boil for 30-45 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Remove the vegetables and the meat from the pot. Discard the onion and the parsnip. Shred the carrots and the celery root with a grater, and chop the chicken meat into pieces. Put the vegetables and meat back in the pot.
- Put 2 ladles of soup in a bowl and let them cool for 2-3 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and mix with the sour cream. Press the garlic and add it to the cream mixture. Gradually add the 2 ladles of soup and whisk well. This will help temper the sour cream mixture, so that it won’t curdle.
- Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and let the soup boil for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, then add the sour cream mixture while stirring continuously with a whisk.
- Add the finely chopped parsley and serve.