British Museum (England)
The British Museum was founded in 1753 with the purchase of a collection of famous books, handwriting and objects of natural history collected by physician and naturalist Sir Hans Sloane (1660-1753). The handwritten manuscripts, coins and antiques contributed by Sir Robert Bruce Cotton (1571-1631) to the important handwriting library that Edward and Robert Harley of Oxford counts had previously inherited also joined the Sloane collection. II. Two years after George’s gift of the Kingdom Library in 1757, the museum opened to the public at Montagu House in Bloomsbury.
In the 19th century, as interest in archeology increased, the British Museum acquired invaluable artifacts of antiquity through gifts, purchases, or stealing (especially from Anatolia). The classic Greek sculptures of the Acropolis of Athens (Elgin marble) are obtained in 1816. In 1823 III. In 1847 the Montagu House took its place, as Sir Robert Smirke’s design was designed by the wider space requirement for the expanding collection of George’s library. The giant domed library built according to the plans of the museum’s master library sir Anthony Panizzi was completed ten years later. The collection of the museum’s natural history was moved to South Kensington in 1883 and was named Natural History Museum. British Library (British Library) was created in 1973 by bringing together manuscripts and printed book collections from the British Museum and other libraries.
British Museum collections are collected in four main sections: the Ancient Works section; Ciches and medals section; prints and drawings section; which is now called the “Museum of Mankind” (“Museum of Humanity”).
The antique works section includes separate collections of works from Egypt, West Asia, Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome, Prehistoric England, Middle Age and East. Among the famous works in the museum are the Resit Stone of Egyptian hieroglyphs, Assyrian reliefs from Asurbanipal’s palace in Ninova, Friezes from Mausoleion in Bodrum, Sutton Hoo Ship Cemetery, African statuettes from bronze and elephant teeth.