Brandenburg Tor (Germany)
The Brandenburg Gate (German: Brandenburger Tor) is one of the main symbols of the German city of Berlin. It is located just north of Reichstag. Throughout the Cold War, the Reichstag was found in West Berlin, and the Brandenburg Gate was found in East Berlin. The door was built between 1788-1791.
Quadriga (Brandenburg Gate, Mitte Semti, Berlin), built by German sculptor Johann Gottfried Schadow in 1793,
The Brandenburg Gate has twelve columns, six entry doors and six exit doors. Columns constitute a total of five roads, citizens have the right to use only two outer doors. The middle road was devoted to royal traffic and important traffic passes. At the top of the door is the Quadriga.
After 1806, Napoleon defeated Prussia in the battle of Jena-Auerstedt, took Quadriga from its place and took it to Paris. In 1814, the Prussian General Ernst von Pfuel defeated Napoleon, took over Paris, took Quadriga back and brought it back to Berlin; The olive branch of Quadriga was replaced by the Iron Cross.
When the Nazis came to power, they began to use the gate as a symbol. II. During World War II, the door was destroyed but not completely destroyed. The governments of eastern and western Berlin have been restored, but the door did not open until 1961, when the Berlin Wall was built.
In 1963, US President John F. Kennedy visited the Brandenburg Gate. In 1980, the president of the West Berlin Bullsman Richard von Weizsäcker said:
«The Brandenburg Gate is very closed, will remain the issue of the Germans. »
Richard von Weizsäcker later became the German president during the unification.
The door became the symbol of free Berlin, which was later merged and reopened on December 22, 1989, when Helmut Kohl was the Chancellor of the West Germany.