Bograç ( Slovenia)
- 125g beef dripping
- 1.2kg onions (about 10 medium) peeled and finely chopped
- 750g carrots peeled and finely diced
- 500g celery finely diced
- 3 green peppers deseeded and diced
- 2 red peppers deseeded and diced
- 1.2kg braising beef, cubed
- 500g bacon lardons
- 3 tbsp smoked paprika
- Boiling water (enough to cover ingredients
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.2kg pork leg cut into cubes
- 800g tinned tomatoes deseeded and diced
- 1.5 tubes goulash paste
- 1 red chilli pepper (left whole)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 kg potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 eggs
- 200g flour
- 100ml water
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
NUTRITIONAL CONTENT PER PORTION
- Calories | 328
- Fat | 13.4g
Serves | 30
Prep Time | 45 minutes
Cooking Time | Appx 3.5 hours
- Melt the lard in a very very very large pot, ideally a ten litre cauldron over an open fire.
- Sauté the onion, carrot, celery and peppers in the lard until translucent.
- Season generously with salt and pepper then stir in the beef and smoked bacon and cook for about 30 minutes stirring regularly.
- Stir in the paprika, slowly mix in 500ml of boiling water and cook for an hour and a half stirring regularly and topping up the water as needed.
- Stir in the pork and cook for ten minutes, stirring regularly.
- Mix the goulash paste and tomatoes together and stir into the bograc.
- Add enough water to sit about 5-6cm above the ingredients, top with the bay leaves and whole chilli pepper and cook for a further approximate 1.5 hours until the meat is very tender.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, boil the potatoes for ten minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
- To prepare the dumplings simply mix together all the ingredients.
- Stir the potatoes into the stew. Drop in teaspoons of the dumpling batter into the bograc and cook for approximately ten minutes.