Skip to content
- 4 beets, washed, or 2 cups sliced canned or jarred beets
- 4 cups meat or vegetable stock
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- Chopped fresh dill for garnish
- If using fresh beets, heat oven to 400 F. Wrap beets in aluminum foil and roast until tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into strips or julienne.
- In a medium pot, bring meat or vegetable (if fasting) stock to boil, add cooked and sliced beets or 2 cups sliced canned or jarred beets, garlic, sugar, fresh lemon juice or red-wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with boiled potatoes and chopped dill for garnish, or cool quickly in an ice-water bath and refrigerate to serve cold garnished with dill and sour cream. Cold creamed beet soup is known as barszcz zabielany.